Vortex near Alaska, what is it called exactly?

  • I sometimes get on Ventusky and scan around the globe. I have noticed many times that there are massive cyclonic events going on just south of Alaska. I know there is some type of vortex deal usually in the area but today I was a bit blown away at how strong it was. I am seeing pressures around 28 inHg, 100+ mph gusts and 40+ wave heights.

    Does anyone know exactly what this is called? I wanted to look up more information.

  • @DasmakFarbin The Aleutian Low, or the Gulf of Alaska Low. There is an article on this phenomenon. Google: "For strong winds: Gulf of Alaska Storms".

Windyty, S.E. - all rights reserved. Powered by excellent NodeBB
NodeBB & contributors, OSM & contributors, HERE maps
Terms and Conditions     Privacy Policy