Question about PPBV

• Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I want to understand something :

Windy says "CO concentration: Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly less dense than air. The level of CO concentration in the troposphere is measured by a system called Parts Per Billion by Volume (PPBV)."

I've found some different thresholds on the web in microgram per cubic meters

I wanted to check, in my city how much we were about some dangerous thresholds.

My city was at 173 PPBV but I had some troubles converting these 173 PPBV in mg / m3

And I found that 1 PPBV = 1 mg / m3

So that means 173 PPBV = 173 mg / m3

But thresholds say :
    10 mg·m-3, for 8 h
    30 mg·m-3, for 1 h
    60 mg·m-3, for 30 min
    100 mg·m-3, for 15 min

So 173 PPBV = 173 mg / m3 is much above the thresholds. Something is wrong with my result. Anyone could help about that? I may have missed something...

• Sailor

@simonl
    For Carbon monoxide (CO)
    1 ppbv = 1.145 μg/m3

According to this source: https://www2.dmu.dk/AtmosphericEnvironment/Expost/database/docs/PPM_conversion.pdf

1 mg = 1000 μg

So when you say « And I found that 1 PPBV = 1 mg / m3 », you have mixed milligrams and micrograms.

173 ppbv =173 x 1.145 μg/m3 = 198 μg/m3 = 0.198 mg/m3

So it’s approximately 0.2 mg/m3... fortunately for you otherwise you would be dead !

• @idefix37 said in Question about PPBV:

@simonl
    For Carbon monoxide (CO)
    1 ppbv = 1.145 μg/m3
    According to this source: https://www2.dmu.dk/AtmosphericEnvironment/Expost/database/docs/PPM_conversion.pdf
    1 mg = 1000 μg
    So when you say « And I found that 1 PPBV = 1 mg / m3 », you have mixed milligrams and micrograms.
    173 ppbv =173 x 1.145 μg/m3 = 198 μg/m3 = 0.198 mg/m3
    So it’s approximately 0.2 mg/m3... fortunately for you otherwise you would be dead !

Thank you!

Windyty, S.E. - all rights reserved. Powered by excellent NodeBB
NodeBB & contributors, OSM & contributors, HERE maps