Offline use ability

• Sailor

@compasserror
    Hi, just a question. How do you imagine "offline use ability"?

• Administrator

@idefix37 That is an excelent question :-) Even we do not know what would be the best solution. Should we just keep the last displayed data, so you can see without an internet connection what you saw last "online time"? Or should we allowed to download forecast for selected region, so you can watch the weather of selected area without internet connection (similar to Google Maps offline mode). Or would be exporting of detail/meteogram to eg PDF enought? And what about mariners, pilots, drivers, ... what they are need and want offline?

• Sailor

@marekd
    I can only speak about sailor needs. When being at sea and offline, how to get numerical weather forecasts? (I'm not talking about VHF/HF Marine Radio voice services or radiofax weather maps via HF SSB radio).
    For me there are 2 cases: either you do transoceanic voyages which will last more than a week without landing, or you make short passages while being offline for 4 or 5 days maximum.

• Long offshore voyages (one week or more): Numerical weather maps are obtained at sea by satellite receiver which can be a simple satellite phone. However this type of device can only receive light files such as e-mail or weather files in GRIB format. Then these files require a viewer software to get wind or wave field maps ... I understood that Windy is not allowed to send GRIB files because of a licensing issue (at least for ECMWF files). So it seems impossible for Windy to meet the needs of these long route sailors.

• Short offshore passages (4 to 6 days max.): In this case we download on a laptop GRIB files (generally these are GFS files) for the week ahead and we use this forecast during the voyage. Of course the reliability of the forecast decreases when the length of the trip increases. If we plan a stopover every 4 or 5 days, this is acceptable, especially in summer. We just need to find a WiFi point on land to download a new forecast over several days. I think that more than 90% of sailors do such leisure sailing along the European or American coasts, in the Caribbean, etc...and there are very few of them crossing the oceans. As I often say « During a stopover, have a beer in a bar offering WiFi connection and download at same time recent weather data ». Currently to keep the Windy forecast in my iPad memory, on 10 days with a 3 hours step, I use the screen recorder feature while the time slider is scrolling.

So the solution should be as simple as getting and using this type of video file. I don’t know if it is easy or not to offer this sort of solution on Windy. But it seems close to what you say « Should we just keep the last displayed data, so you can see without an internet connection what you saw last "online time"? »
    You should try to download iGrib to get an idea of what should be needed. IGrib is a very basic free app available only in the AppStore but it will probably give you some ideas.
    Exporting detail of Meteogram as pdf is not the solution for me because it just concerns a location, while a boat moves.

• @idefix37
    What about satellite internet?
    is not very expensive nowadays (31€/month)
    https://www.cosmote.gr/cs/cosmote/en/ote_satellite_internet.html

• Sailor

@Gkikas-LGPZ
    Yes that’s not expensive, but probably using a fixed antenna, that you can install on a house but not on a boat. A boat is always in motion and need a special dome antenna. Given the cost of the equipment to get broadband connection to Internet at sea you must plan a good budget.

https://broadbandnow.com/guides/satellite-internet-for-boats
    https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/satellite-internet-for-boats/
    http://www.globalmarinenet.com/satellite-internet-at-sea-hardware-airtime-and-pricing/

• @idefix37
    You're right!
    Boats have propellers!

• Sailor

@Gkikas-LGPZ
    Or sails (which have my preference) :-)

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @solucangubresi
    cheaper?

• Sailor

@Gkikas-LGPZ