How to set-up your Windy Stormchasing Station

• Administrator

Thank you for joining our Windy Stormchasing Network.

This is 2nd prototype of our station.

_center_shadow

Your station can be located on your roof, balcony or in your garden. Please do not locate the station close to some other electrical devices (like a fridge).

It is NOT NECESSARY to put your station on the roof or hill, but proper grounding important is.

Your station must be:

• Connected to the Internet
    • Powered with 12V - 24V at least 1A
    • Properly grounded - very important

You can connect your station via Wi-Fi or via PoE (Power over Ethernet) cable to Internet, which is most convenient method, since you do not need to configure anything and your station is powered and connected to Internet.

If you opt for PoE you need to get Power over Ethernet Injector which is up to 20USD device (check on Amazon), but make sure your PoE Injector is IEEE 802.3af compliant, that means 48V. Some of cheap PoE devices give you just 15V. Ethernet cable should support DHCP. Remember that even the stations connected via PoE must be properly grounded.

If you decide to use Wi-Fi just power the station. The station must blink red once and then should light blue (it takes some time to boot up). Blue light means, that station is not connected to the Internet and acts as its own Wi-Fi Access Point with SSID Blitzstation. Use password detector to log in and at the IP address 10.10.0.1 you will find web Interface, to set-up your station. The set-up page should appear automatically on most of modern phones and laptops and I say again, it takes some time till page will appear.

_center_shadow

As soon as your station will be successfully connect to your Wi-Fi, it stops working as an Access Point and it should light green, from time to time.

How to power the station
    If you use PoE, your station is powered up. In case of Wi-Fi we can provide you with 12V/1A power. There are many of other power sources, that will give you 12 to 24V, see Amazon offer..

_center_shadow

How to ground the station:
    Proper grounding is key to good signal. You can use lightning conductor, grounding pin of your electrical power socket or any metal construction, that is grounded will do the job.

_center_shadow

Color status codes:

• BLUE - Station failed to connect to Wi-Fi and now works as Access Point
    • GREEN time to time - successfully connected to backend
    • RED blink - lightning was detected.
    • RED for few seconds - lightning was detected, but its info was not sent to backend yet (it is not error)
    • RED continuous blinking - a lot of thunderstorm activity, but can be also electrical interference or bad grounding

How to see data from my station:

Go to https://blitz.windy.com and find your own station.

What next?

Share your experience with us. Send us photo of your installation.

@ivo
    What does it mean?

Preveza is active?
    2a044700-0916-45a3-8849-b6234c66e2d8-εικόνα.png
    Castellabate inactive? but status OK ?
    ef201f8f-493b-4897-af55-a3203684ffd1-εικόνα.png

..... is it prefferable to connect it to my router (Vodafone) or "manual connection" (add hidden SSID) ?

8027c371-70cf-44c8-b726-5c3667f7c7ac-εικόνα.png

Sorry for my questions but I have not such experience.

@ivo
    I noticed that if I ground the station in the ground wire of the electrical supply system
    I receive a lot of noise every time an electrical apliance turns on or when I plug-in
    my cellphone's charger in any electrical socket.
    Now, I grounded the Blitzstation in a safety handrail.
    Please note that in Blitzortung's documentation (Project Description)
    https://www.blitzortung.org/en/cover_your_area.php
    page 55, paragraph 4.3.1.9 says: "... Note that the ground of the system should never
    be connected to the ground wire of the electrical supply system."

Windyty, S.E. - all rights reserved. Powered by excellent NodeBB
NodeBB & contributors, OSM & contributors, HERE maps
Terms and Conditions     Privacy Policy