Documentation or guided tour for comparing reported wind to the models predictions.

• | Premium

When I look at the reported wind data, I have problems figuring out which arrow represents wind and which wind gusts.

Also I don't understand how I can compare reported wind with predicted wind from different models.

Best,
    Michel

• | Premium

I have found it. If anybody else needs it, here is the link:
    https://community.windy.com/assets/uploads/files/1567063937006-zkkxwx2.jpg

But I thinks it should be clear from the UX perspective which is the observed and predicted value. Also, I still don't know for sure, which is wind and which are gusts.

• Meteorologist | Premium

@mcevzar
    To compare observations and forecasts, you have to select first a location.
    Second, you chose a weather station close to this location. Third, you will see the following window :
    77902EEE-4293-4961-8701-745A48848D19.jpeg
    The vertical red line is the limit between the last observations and the forecasts.
    You can change the model to check wich one is the best at this location. I indicated the line for the wind, observations versus the line forecasted by the model that you have chosen.

• | Premium

Yes Yves, but in the picture I have posted you can see accuracy for the historical data (reported vs. forecasted wind). Not future forecast.

I was checking this manually and it's bothersome and not data driven approach.

Feature improvement would be it there would the accuracy data for weather models posted in the reported wind model comparison.

For example: MBLUE 60% accuracy, ICON 40% accuracy etc.

Do you maybe know Yves where I can see wind gusts in the screenshot you posted?

Best,
    Michel

• Sailor Moderator

@mcevzar
    Hi, Gusts are not shown in Observation vs forecast tool. Only Wind which is the averaged wind, to compare forecast and observed wind.
    The past forecast data is now only few hours when it was shown during several days previously as you can see via the link you provided. Hope it will back on several days soon.

• | Premium

@idefix37 Thank you for the clarification.

• Meteorologist | Premium

@idefix37
    Yes, I hope as well. The past forecast data is now only few hours when it was shown during several days previously and this was very useful to compare and find the best model

Windyty, S.E. - all rights reserved. Powered by excellent NodeBB
NodeBB & contributors, OSM & contributors, HERE maps
Terms and Conditions     Privacy Policy