Windyty 5.0 is here
A lot of good internet sites failed...
They failed, because the were adding new and new features, and after while, they become big and slow. And eventually they forgot to do well the basic thing, that make them popular in the first place.
Do not worry, Windyty will not end like that.
Let me introduce Windyty 5.0, the biggest change since Windyty was born.
- 20% smaller codebase (it loads faster)
- Runs 2-3 times faster and 5 times faster on slow network
- Requires less computer memory and less CPU resources
- Runs even on very slow mobile phone, including Android
- The size of data files has been reduced 5 times, so on very slow network, Windyty will eventually run 5 times faster. Not mentioning the fact, that Windyty is now usable even on the slowest satellite connection.
- Codebase is now prepared for eventual Windyty API
- Windyty now remembers your most popular destinations.
- Search now contain small map of founded location.
- Fullscreen mode
- For sake of good performance on mobile devices, Retina mode is disabled by default, and must be enabled by user
Public beta (testing version) version of Windyty 5.0 can be found here: https://beta.windyty.com
Feedback and bug reports:
Please feel free to send us any bug report, or feedback, preferably via this discussion forum, or on Facebook, or Twitter.
I really like the way its features work and understand its wind data is based on the NOAA GFS model. Please confirm. A few comments: I'd like to see and 'About' included that would provide information where the various data comes from; how often it is updated, etc. This may already be include but should be easily assessable. The other is, we are cruising sailors, travelling the seas and oceans and only have internet when within range of land and related facilitates. Could Windyty one day create a software package for installation on a Mac or PC and then have the ability to email a small file to allow remote reading of weather reports. This would be a HUGE aid to the thousands of cruising sailors.
SV Emerald Sea
It is there just hover the mouse over "info" link
Yes -I am with Emeraldsea here - would love to be able to have a software program as a sailor at sea where I can send and receive a small file to generate something similar to what we see when connected to the internet. At the moment we send a 'request' to saildocs.com and they 'bounce back' an email with a small grib file we open for wind arrows and other information. I would LOVE to see a windyty file displaying when we are at sea far from any internet.
At the moment we use windyty as one of our tools for departure but after that we have to switch over to saildocs.
Keep up the good work
Seriously impressed with you guys
Agree with Emerald Sea....to be able to email a small file would be great !
Also, would be great to show the lat-lon of the cursor as you move it in the screen.
All the best
Agree with both of your points. And a passage planning option could help the company with revenue and sailors in planning passages.