Radar data needed! Help us with the data gathering
As we are continuously improving Windy, we never stopped thinking to create radar layer. Unfortunately, there is not only one service provider, where we could go and just download the data from some FTP server. To illustrate the problem, on the image bellow you can see all the doppler radar listed by WMO.
Each country has a very different policy regarding those data. For example, USA gives those data to public for free (you can expect those to be added soon), however most of the states are not so generous and are hiding those data. To keep Windy free of charge, we don't want to pay for the data.
Therefore, I am asking for your help. Do you know which countries provide the radar data for free? And can you provide the FTP server to the data?
Current state (April 2017):
- USA - data for free
- Europe - OPERA project - whole European composite, which is heavily paid
- Netherlands offers the data for free
Any help appreciated!
Shortened version of this link: https://on.windy.com/RadarDataGathering
EDIT: Current state (18th September 2018)
Radar already implemented – check this table chart: https://community.windy.com/topic/6014/weather-radar-providers
Work in progress:
Caribbean + Belize: added
Canada: Southern part already implemented: https://community.windy.com/topic/3746/radar-data-needed-help-us-with-the-data-gathering/120
Links to other potential data/image providers:
- ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/radar ;
- http://www.bom.gov.au/catalogue/data-feeds.shtml ;
- http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip ;
- http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye ;
(however: https://community.windy.com/topic/3746/radar-data-needed-help-us-with-the-data-gathering/80) ;
(more links here: https://community.windy.com/topic/3746/radar-data-needed-help-us-with-the-data-gathering/83) ;
- https://www.redemet.aer.mil.br (biggest source) ;
- https://www.redemet.aer.mil.br/?i=facilidades&p=api-redemet ;
- http://sinda.crn2.inpe.br/PCD/SITE/novo/site/index.php ;
(more at: https://community.windy.com/topic/3746/radar-data-needed-help-us-with-the-data-gathering/78)
- https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/projects/mrms/redirect (for Santa Catarina region)
- http://www.nemcaac.cn/dbinfo/app/common/radar/index (Civil Aviation Weather Radar) ;
- http://www.weather.com.cn/radar/index.shtml?CHN (China Weather Network Weather Radar)
- Hong Kong:
- New Caledonia:
- New Zealand:
- http://www.arso.gov.si/vreme/napovedi in podatki/radar.html ;
- http://meteo.arso.gov.si/met/sl/app/webmet/#webmet=vUHcs9WYkN3LtVGdl92LhBHcvcXZi1WZ09Cc1p2cvAncvd2LyVWYs12Lp1WYnV2Lp5Wa05CetxGfzx2b2VmbpF2XuVWanhmYvVnczxXatF2Zlx3ejxWZhJXThBHRhRXY6YWYsNXZsQ2btFWaupzJzx2b2VmbpF2JsAXYyFWblRXZypzJSFERBJ1XM9kTHdSf ;
- South Africa:
- Tropical Atlantic:
- Global radar resources:
Some more links to check:
- OPERA official EU radar composite (paid): http://eumetnet.eu/activities/observations-programme/current-activities/opera-radar-animation &
- Europe: http://meteocentre.com/radar/europe/?lang=en
- Germany: https://www.wetteronline.de/regenradar?wro=true
- France: https://fr.meteox.com/fr-fr/home/satelliteradar
- Spain: https://community.windy.com/topic/3746/radar-data-needed-help-us-with-the-data-gathering/119
- Korea: http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/weather/images/radar.jsp
I am fairly certain that Canada offers free use of weather radar. I'll see what I can do. I'll also do my best to check if other countries offer free radar.
In Australia we have free access as to the government run (Bureau Of Meteorology) Unsure if they would allow this to be utilised for another weather site but worth a try.
@meteo-GR Thank you, radareu.cz is nice composition, but we are looking for original data (not png) and we want to access them in legal way.
An example of good data storage:
The data is raw and georeferenced, exactly what we need. Many thanks to guys from Norwegian Meteorological Institute!!!
Sorry, but it looks like Environment Canada only offers radar data in GIF format. I'll keep trying for other countries though. And I figured out how to get Australian weather radar. It's $1830 a year plus another $1025 as a one time fee. http://reg.bom.gov.au/other/charges.shtml
@TheRadarGuy Thanks for help
Bahamas Weather is free.
and how about post question (from windy team) here?
(why we pay gowerment expensive data twice...?)
@TomSlavkovsky @ivo I think I found radar data for Sweden. There is some other data in there you might also want to take a look at. Like: weather forecasting models, ocean information and warnings data.
@TheRadarGuy Thx for the link, I have contacted the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute and there is a fee for HDF5 format - 24.000 SEK per year.
@leapenn Could send me a link for the data?
Do you have a list of providers that have already agreed to share this information?
Germany's National Meteorological Service DWD offers most data as opendata, radars included
The University of Bonn (Germany, Rhineland Palatinate) operates a local rain radar. The range is about 120km around Bonn.
There are also no commercial interests behind it I think and they pass the data to you perhaps.
@Snipersupersix I think this is part of opendata of DWD, they offer radar data from all German radar stations
Here is a huge list of radar data sources, but probably mainly images and not raw: rainviewer sources Although raw data is better, a composite from images would be great beta version!
Edit: Link should work now!
UK Met Office Data is available free through their DataPoint API (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/datapoint/product/rainfall-radar-map-layer). API documentation: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/3/0/datapoint_api_reference.pdf
Awaiting response from Colombian agency in charge of radar data. And crossing fingers.