UNSOLVED Widget problems
Always says "failed to load", manual refresh often fails until the app has been opened.
With this thread starting a few weeks ago,is this likely to be fixed any time soon?
Also please add option to make text on the widget larger and or bold.
Marienka last edited by Marienka
Another user via e-mail:
"Hello! Developers have some problems with the wiget! Anyway I plug in the screen, i miss the subset of the widget. It can only be loaded in 4x2 size and does not display the bottom part information. I provided screen photo. Samsung A520F 8.0 Oreo."
I am using the widget on Android 8.1.0. There is no setting icon on the widget. The only way to change the location is to delete the widget and reinstall it.
The only setting possibility I got during the widget installation is the location. No chance to select the forecast model or so.
I think that it would be an improvement to be able to change the settings without having to delete the widget and reinstall it. I think that it would an additional improvement that the settings include the possibility of choosing the forecast model.
I'm having the same loading issue, doesn't work after the first set up.
Some suggestions I'd love to see...
- if the widget is taking up 4x2 then maybe use that space? Instead of dead space above and below, make the icons and text a big bigger
- it would be great if I could scroll on the widget. It would be nice to see the weekend's weather forecast instead of needing to open the app for that.
- settings... I'd like the option to set the wind to kmph instead of knots
Thank you for an amazing app
Marienka last edited by
failed to retrieve forecast data
Only way to get widgets back is to remove them and put them in again.
Widget location - specific location Shoreham
Widgets are resized for nova launcher.
Both normal app and beta doesn't seem to be different.
Everything up to date S8plus Oreo nova launcher
Dobrý den, je prosím nějaká možnost, jak v transparentním režimu zobrazení widgetu zrušit červené orámování? Nechápu, proč je zde, celkově narušuje design. Děkuji za odpověď.
Why .. Why .. Why ? Why make a beautiful radar widget, and give it a transparent background so that it fits in perfectly with my desktop ... and then put a HIDEOUS red border around it with no option to remove it ?
Boomerius last edited by
When adding a widget I can't choose any place, it's either my current location or some other 2 random places (maybe from the ones I did a search previously)
Android, galaxy 9, default OS.
Marienka last edited by
Hi @boomerius , if you save a spot as your Favorite (you need to be logged in), then you can choose this place for a widget. But not yet in case of European locations – hopefully coming soon.
Samsung S7, Android 8.0. The widget doesn't load any data when mobile data saver (spořič dat) is active. When it's off, the widget works fine.
For me the widget not updating is due to Windy being on the list of apps that are "Optimsed" for battery usage. Google / Samsung have made this easy to switch on but awkward to switch off. Here is how I did it on a Samsung with Android Oreo:
- Go to phone settings
- Select Apps
- Select Windy from the Apps list
- Select Battery
- Select Optimise Battery Usage
- Change the filter at the top of the page to 'All Apps'
- Scroll down to Windy and switch the optimisation off
If the devs can detect battery is optimised, perhaps suggest switching it off in the error message. Also, it would be a good idea to show the last updated date/time in the top right of the widget titlebar.
The forecast widgets load and show, but the radar widget isn't loading at all on my Android device. I've tried using the radar widget on many different internet connections, but it still won't work. What could I do?
- Font size is too small. I suppose 4x1 is ok since there isn't any more space but 4x2 should expand and increase font size to make it easier to read.
- It should display the next 24 hours only to make it easier to read. Scrolling may be added if possible for people who want multi-day forecast.
- If it is unable to retrieve data, it should continue to display the previous data. The error message could be displayed in the header next to the refresh button.
逐风者 last edited by
amine.23 last edited by
@Marienka I am from Algeria
I'm using a Oneplus 3T phone with Android 8.0. The widget works perfectly fine but it lacks of choice regarding the different weather forecasts available within the app. Is there a way to develop more options to customize the widget in an upcoming version of the app?
Besides that, Windy is the most beautiful and precise weather app out there, please keep it up! 🤟
Marienka last edited by Marienka
Device: Sony XZ2 Compact Android Version 9 Build 52.0.A.3.163 Kernel 4.9.112-perf+
For these two topics posted by Marienka above:
- Widget hangs forever after device boot
"After almost every reboot, the Windy widget gets stuck at the loading animation. Preferences icon is unresponsive, too. This is both a bug and a UI problem, because at some point the widget should realize it's failing, display the last downloaded weather information and show an icon that the current info can't be loaded."
- Bad widget UI: "Failed to retrieve data"
This message should only be displayed temporary. Then the last downloaded weather information should be displayed along with some kind of small warning icon that current information is not available. The way it's now, when you lose the connection, the entire widget becomes useless until you get a working connection again, even though it could display the old weather data that is probably still good enough.
The widget needs some kind of error icon instead of disabling it completely when it can't fetch new data.
Using Android 8.0.0: home page widget map.
Widget settings only control Location and Theme dark-light-transparent. Colourisation seems to be Radar .
Can map widget settings have a few additional selections for:
- Map Display: i.e. Radar / Lightning (precip & lightning), Marine (waves), and Aviation (airport vfr/mvfr/ifr & surface visibility). Colourization linked to app settings...
- Map Zoom View: i.e radius input 10, 25, 50, 100, etc around selected location.
.. with units & colourisation as selected in app.
Great app! Thanks.