SOLVED "Start-up location" vs. "Find my location"
Marienka last edited by Marienka
It seems that the synchronization between Start-up location (can only be set in the desktop Settings) and Homepage (the same "house" icon in the mobile version) is not working as it should.
Information for developer:
I can confirm this issue on Android 7.0
iOS app users complaining here: https://community.windy.com/topic/3723/saved-location-on-startup-with-iphone-app
Android app users:
- https://community.windy.com/topic/5656/better-airport-indicators ;
- https://community.windy.com/topic/5679/start-location-not-being-saved ;
- https://community.windy.com/topic/5917/how-to-set-my-home-location ;
- https://community.windy.com/topic/5996/startup-location ;
- https://community.windy.com/topic/6733/not-my-location-please-solve ;
A number of other users complaining via Google Play Console, just to mention some:
- "... Also the location is not reported correctly, it seems like it's cached somewhere." --- (Jun 20, 2018 at 6:24 PM ; OnePlus 6 ; Android 8.1)
- "... and in addition it can not determine location." --- (Jun 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM ; Xperia XZ ; Android 8.0)
- "Nevím, jak s tím pracovat. Nemohu si nastavit, aby při otevření aplikace bylo zobrazeno moje oblíbené místo." --- (Jun 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM ; Y5 2017 ; Android 6.0)
- "Good informations... But why inspite of allow localisation, every time shows me another city?! And widget says localisation unnown?!" --- (Jul 18, 2018 at 11:57 AM ; Xperia™ M4 Aqua ; Android 6.0)
- "Možná aplikace dobrá, ovšem určování polohy jí moc nejde." --- (Jul 23, 2018 at 10:30 AM ; Smart V8 ; Android 7.1)
- "I can't search my location..." --- (Jul 31, 2018 at 3:52 AM ; Galaxy S9+ ; Android 8.0)
- "Když zadám najit mou pozici, což bylo České Budějovice, najde to Prahu a Linz." --- (Aug 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM ; P8 lite 2017 ; Android 8,0)
- "Even if you select a preferred location, each time you open the app, it offers a different location. Sometimes the line where writing the location disappears and there is no way to recall it." (Sep 19, 2018 at 11:01 PM ; U FEEL PRIME ; Android 7.1)
- "Visually the app display is very cool, however the biggest problem is that it doesn't default to the last searched for location. There also seems to be no way to set the home location. It seems it just default to where it thinks your internet provider is which can be very wrong many times for example if you live on an island, it may show the default weather as being on the mainland. There is no way to even save a default location. Normally people are checking weather in their own town, so why should you have to search for it every time? This is a huge drawback which most every other weather app handles easily. Please fix this serious design flaw." --- (Sep 20, 2018 at 5:08 PM ; Galaxy A6+ ; Android 8.0)
- "Location doesnt work cant change the readings easy to bft. Website works way better." (Sep 23, 2018 at 2:16 PM ; Galaxy S6 ; Android 7.0)
- "It alternates between my actual location and SE England. No use to me like that." (Sep 23, 2018 at 8:01 PM ; FIG-LX1 ; Android 8.0)
- "App looks promising but like some people pointed out it doesent default to last searched location nor i can manually set one. There is option to set as prefered or something like that, what will put a star on the map. Still once i open the app it will go back to predefined location by the app. Second i cant find an option to have the app show on notification bar. Sort this two things and i will change my rating." (Sep 26, 2018 at 11:21 AM )
- "Neumí automaticky nastavit polohu. V Ostravě tvrdošíjně nastavuje Prahu." (Sep 29, 2018 at 7:55 AM ; Galaxy S7 edge, Android 8.0)
- "Hi there, I need manual setting of my home location in the android app. Please bring it back - I don't want to waste battery power on GPS usage, and I don't want to use IP address, since that is soooooo unreliable, when using mobile data or even fixed wifi. When I switch on the app, I want to see a location that I manually set. If I want to see where I am, I need to turn on GPS of course and enable location access. I have already added my location as favourite, but it's just not it. Since I always need to go to favourites and select it. I also replied on the topic you sent link for." (July 2, 2018)
Or via e-mail.
UPDATE (Sept 2018):
The "Start-up location" is newly adjustable also in the mobile version (web + app).
Please update your application to the latest version (16.5), go to the Menu >> Settings >> Advanced settings >> "Start-up location" (with the "house" icon). You can choose between the same options as in the desktop version: "Determine by my IP", "Use GPS'" or any of your Favorites.
However, the "Start-up location" with the "house" icon (this can be set in the desktop Settings and newly also in the mobile Advanced settings) and the same "house" icon on the main screen of the mobile version (web or app) still do not represent the same function. This is quite confusing for users.
Whatever I set as my "Start-up location", especially some Favorite location, it does not correspond with the "house" icon on the main screen, rather it gets it mixed with the "Find my location" feature – which is a different function, already represented by the "arrow" icon in the Menu, or by clicking on the "Windy" logo directly on the map.
In addition, "Find my location" in the mobile version and sometimes even the desktop version is not always correct.
–> Perhaps we should all figure out what are the matches and the differences between: "Start-up location", "Find my location", "Default location" and "Home location" (the same for: "... page").
I was redirected here by someone from your official Facebook site. I am replying here to let you know this either hasn't been solved or it is a new issue.
I can't manually set my home location. I don't want to use GPS, since it is draining my battery and the IP address location is useless, since either on wifi or on mobile data, it always uses way different location, than where I am currently.
Please add an option to set my own home page and start page (or if they are the same, either way manual setting for this is necessary).
Marienka last edited by Marienka
Hi @tinco , @kevahola , @Wayne-Coomer , @ranchero , @p435 , @Shdak63 , @kelly-drewry , @RDVanek , @heliski1 , @saildriver44 , @justinlimbo and everyone else:
This bug has been fixed on www.windy.com, including mobile version.
iOS and Android apps will follow soon.
Please watch the next updates and then you can let us know how it works. Thank you! :)
Hello how are u
@Marienka - I'm having this same problem when using the embedded link function. Even though I have the coordinates of the preferred position hard coded into the iframe URL, the map still appears to override these coordinates and use the location reported by my current ip address.
Is there any way to override this setting and force only the hard coded location to display via an embedded link?
@mgallandt Please provide URL of your page with embed