• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• I've finished editing the overlays at this point, and consolidated all of the most recent final versions into the first post within the thread.

I also removed all the older editing-versions. I'll consider changing aspects of these final overlays if feedback indicates any issues or suggestions to incorporate into them.

Screens of the final overlays, as they currently exist within the first post above, will be uploaded soon-ish.

• Sailor

@wxcycles said in Windy Customized Graphics:

Windy Customized Graphics
    Description: This custom “Wind” overlay display is designed to provide a clear color depiction of the Saffir-Simpson wind-scale so that you can precisely view cyclonic-storm wind strength categories as forecast, and the areas forecast to be most affected.

The Saffir-Simpson scale is based on «maximum sustained wind » considered as the highest average wind over 1-minute.

I think that the ECMWF wind data are calibrated over 10-minutes average (I don’t know for GFS and NAM). So your color settings will not match really the Saffir-Simpson wind scale on Windy maps.

I am using my own color settings which are based on 10-minutes average winds according to the Beaufort scale. This scale is more useful in Europe where wind speed beyond 64kt are really rare. It gives more color details on winds between 0 to hurricane force.

• @idefix37 said in Windy Customized Graphics:

Windy Customized Graphics
    Description: This custom “Wind” overlay display is designed to provide a clear color depiction of the Saffir-Simpson wind-scale so that you can precisely view cyclonic-storm wind strength categories as forecast, and the areas forecast to be most affected.

The Saffir-Simpson scale is based on «maximum sustained wind » considered as the highest average wind over 1-minute.
    I think that the ECMWF wind data are calibrated over 10-minutes average (I don’t know for GFS and NAM). So your color settings will not match really the Saffir-Simpson wind scale on Windy maps.
    I am using my own color settings which are based on 10-minutes average winds according to the Beaufort scale. This scale is more useful in Europe where wind speed beyond 64kt are really rare. It gives more color details on winds between 0 to hurricane force.

I hear you, and you are of course strictly correct in the technical classification aspect, and probably correct about ECMWF's way of handling forecast speed.

This is one of my pet divergent issues from conventional textbook expectation (if I may call it that). I'm happy to use the Saffir-Simpson divisions per-sec, as they are familiar, they are useful, they are meaningful, and most of all, people are somewhat familiar with the category system for wind speeds. There are of course several schemes for cyclonic wind speed categories in use but I’ve strictly used classic Saffir-Simpson as I don't think the other category rating system divisions are as 'sensible' or informed.

I'm familiar with the practical effects of Beaufort Scaling for sea state as I've worked on small ships too when young. But virtually no one has heard of Beaufort Scale these days, and no one would know what it was or means. Maybe in the UK and a couple of EU coastal countries it remains more prevalent and meaningful. But for depicting tropical cyclonic systems, it is outmoded and not too useful. No agency uses that Scale to communicate storm information now.

However, for reasons that are more obvious to people who have been through the eye wall of a category-4 (i.e. me) and lower categories, it becomes quickly and undeniably apparent that the things that destroy human structures in the real-world context are rarely the 'sustained' (time interval averaged) winds. The thing that does the damage are the explosive-gusts, that are so fast you don't even hear or see them coming. Those are very dangerous winds in cyclones, they are very meaningful, they do things to human structures and to people that sustained measured wind does not capture, and sustained winds do not do.

Plus anemometers ... oh boy … almost no one has precise data anyway, and only accurate data--occasionally.

So IMHO, based on my experiences, winds below tropical storm speed are not really dangerous. Basic gray-scale is used for them because to use other colors will get distracting from the important (dangerous) wind information, and color is not really essential for non life-threatening wind speeds.

But I do make a subtle dividing line if you look closely, with a lighter grey contour boundary to full white depicting Tropical-Storm category winds. Up to that point I think it is correct to use time-averaged winds and not gusts to define their category bounds which 'Windy' already seems to do (apparently) fairly well.

But this is where I diverge. Once you enter Saffir-Simpson Category 1 territory, and higher, it’s my view that the gust speed quickly becomes much more meaningful a factor to humans, than the 'constant' winds. I've been through a good number of cyclones of many types and the most 'interesting' (scary and destructive) things occur during explosive super-gusts. Anyone who’s been in them knows what I mean. And scary destructive things are much more rare during the constant winds, which may be 180 km/h say. It’s the gusts (10 to 30 seconds long) that you fear, where bad things happen to humans (except in surges).

So gust speeds are clearly much more important to people actually in such storms. So I diverge from the textbook views of what matters, due to that.

But with Beaufort Scale the 'continuous' winds determine wave sizes for mariners, the gusts are less important, so there's a totally different emphasis between the two major scales and their purposes.

So given that almost all humans are on land as are almost all of their wind vulnerable structures, I think Saffir-Simpson, with a bias towards gust levels or shorter period, is clearly the more appropriate measure to be displaying for people using the forecast product. So I think this is where to focus on color and providing the best shading to indicate relative intensity change with time and distance.

On top of this, Windy displays a forecast, not data, and forecasts must be meaningful as to what sort of gusts people may face in a few days time. So I think the display I settled on (so far) does this very clearly. But I’m not beyond experimenting further and will consider how subtle colors could be used in the lower wind speed range.

__
    PS: I was a bit unhappy with the look of the four cloud type overlays when I took screens so just before I wrote this comment I increased the cloud details by ~2.5 times and made them look more well, 'cloudy’, and updated the first post with that setting:

OVERLAYS
    Clouds [clouds]
    Low clouds [lclouds]
    Medium clouds [mclouds]
    High clouds [hclouds]

• Wind
    0_1540483895813_Wind.png
    Gusts
    0_1540483925809_Gusts 1.png
    Gusts
    0_1540483958443_Gusts 2.png
    Accumulated Wind