Windy.com URL Parameters
If you want to link to Windy.com from your application, use following URL format. All lat, long are in simple number format, but they MUST have decimal part present. So for example latitude 50 degrees, must be written as
There are two types of URL:
The first type of URL opens detail of location, loads a plugin or do some other serious action. This type of URL uses path (for example www.windy.com/LKPR).
The second type of URL defines how the map will look like and uses query string (for example www.windy.com/?temp,50.1,14.14,6).
Both types of URL can be combined, so you can open Windy with forecast detail on the right side and define parameters of the map on the left side.
Open weather detail
- Opens weather detail in RH pane.
- Opens airport detail with METAR, TAF in RH pane. ICAO must be valid airport code, either in lowercase or uppercase.
Define state of the map
State of the map is defined in a query string, that has following format
lat,lon,zoomthat are required and must go in this order, all are other params are voluntary and can be defined in any order.
- Centre and zoom a map to specific coordinates.
- Center and zoom a map to specific coordinates, but adds a marker in coordinates. It can be useful for linking to Windyty from ship-tracking, or other tracking application.
- Opens distance & planning tool with a track.
Major improvement is also the fact, that now you can share or even open Windy with some track, just by constructing track in URL. The format is simple. Just use semicolon separated coordinates, where lat and lon are separated by comma. Example:
- Opens defined overlay at desired level.
Example of values for some of overlays are:
wind, temp, pressure, clouds, rh, gust, snow, lclouds, rain, snowcover, waves, swell, wwaves, swellperiod.
Allowed values for levels are:
surface, 975h, 950h, 925h, 900h, 850h, 750h, 700h, 550h, 450h, 350h, 300h, 250h, 200h, 150h. So far, only a few overlay support higher levels.
Examples: https://www.windy.com/?temp,36.908,-93.049,8 and https://www.windy.com/?wind,900h,36.908,-93.049,8
- Opens Windy with selected model and overlay
- Opens Windy with selected isolines
- Opens Windy with disabled particles animation
- Opens forecast for a defined time. Time is in UTC, must have following format
HHhas following allowed values:
00, 03, 06, 09, 12, 15, 18, 21, and we do not support past time. If you decide to make queries with defined time, make yourself sure, that required time has its data file on our server, not to create a lot of
404errors. Remember we do not store history data.
- Launches Windy in screenshot making mode, where query string has the same meaning as usual. Can be used in association with annotations or high particles.
Examples: https://www.windy.com/screenshot/annotation:5c57db5a4d91730008f908d5;?50.083,14.467,5 and https://www.windy.com/screenshot/annotation:5c57db5a4d91730008f908d5;highParticles:true?50.083,14.467,5