Windy version 19 brings articles, better distance tool and Leaflet 1.4
Windy version 19 is here and it brings some major changes:
- Windy Articles
- Better Distance & Planning tool
- Better possibility to share tracks, positions via URL
- Major mapping library updated to Leaflet 1.4
Changes in detail
- Windy is here to help save lives or property by informing others about severe weather phenomena or state of our Earth's climate. Therefore we are proud to present to you Windy Articles. Windy Articles should help our users and other media to inform about these events, but not only that. We would like to educate others about weather and its dangers. You can use Windy Articles as a publication platform and start writing your articles too, here is how.
- The major mapping library we use was upgraded from Leaflet 0.77 to Leaflet 1.4. This will help mainly our Plugin developers and later on our API users. So if you will have feeling that something is not right, just let us know. Unfortunately we use some fixes in the library so here is our fork of Leaflet that seems to work https://github.com/windycom/Leaflet
- We have brought back the possibility to open Windy and force to display the weather picker in the middle. Just add
d:pickerto one of the URL params and it should work.
- We have improved the distance & planning tool, so now you can export your track in GPX or XML. And we have also fixed the timeline bug, so your track can cross the timeline.
- A major improvement is also the fact that now you can share or even open Windy with some track, just by constructing the track in URL. The format is simple. Just use semicolon separated coordinates where lat and lon are separated by comma. Example:
A lot of work on this release was done by Ivo, Marek, Milan, Filip and Martin.
So enjoy Windy 19, report any issues and stay safe!
THANKS for all your hard work Ivo, Marek, Milan, Filip and Martin (and others), it is very appreciated.
I run Windy now on my big LapTop, it shows me the sunrise time in La Coruna today to be at 5am!
Using a different tool gives the sunrise time at 8am.
Even if one of the tools does not use the DST the 3 hour difference is unexplainable, while looking out of my window confirms there is a bug in Windy.
@olddog57 In my laptop looks OK
@Gkikas-LGPZ Very strange: it is OK now on mine too!
Well, I caught it: this happens when I try to see the forecast for a point at sea.
In that case Windy uses for a point just little offshore the GMT+1, while for La Coruna itself GMT-2 is used as DST - not particularly convenient feature
Maybe this issue should be in a separate thread, not the version 19 announcement?
windy m'a aider avec exellence
@jmh2002 Actually, that's not really an issue: Windy shows which time zone it refers to. In this case GMT+1
Stellastronza last edited by
Exceptional work as always. Congratulations!
Love the better distance planning...now I can save & share track...help departure planning for sailing to new destination... thanks
A major improvement is also the fact that now you can share or even open Windy with some track, just by constructing the track in URL. The format is simple. Just use semicolon separated coordinates where lat and lon are separated by comma. Example: www.windy.com/distance/lat1,lon1;lat2,lon2;lat3,lon3
Would be nice if Windy automated that link-creation process.
Thank you for the update to the planning tool.
bkwong06 last edited by
I come from Hong Kong and know that windy has become one of the famous topics in reporting on weather forecasting when a typhoon is approaching. Keep it up.
midafricam last edited by
Wow awesome work, Windy is now my goto website everyday
good job! windy team
Is the v4 api no longer supported? Appears to be down: https://api4.windy.com
Yazz last edited by
Nice work guys!
Thanks a lot Ivo, it's a very usefull work for all of us.
frostfeathers last edited by
Thanks for that! :)
Muchas Gracias por esta excelente y confiable aplicación. A los creadores, les deseo que sigan mejorando y actualizado cuando se requiera. Saludos desde Apizaco, Tlaxcala. México.