rittels last edited by rittels
Hi Windy fans and Aviators
I have been (very slowly) working on this for a while. It might be somewhat superfluous, since @marekd is creating something similar.
There are still kinks to be ironed out, but usable:
- Go to windy.com/plugins and enter windy-plugin-fp. Once loaded, right click/long press on the map for context menu. Then click Flight planner.
- The plugin is meant for recreational VFR flight planning.
- Use the weather picker to plot a route.
- You can also upload a route. (Upload formats: .gpx, .ep1, .efp. Download: .gpx.)
- Airports (found in the Windy Airports layer) can be used to add a waypoint.
- Sliding the aircraft icon along the route will set the Windy map to the appropriate time and altitude.
- Altitude, speed, time and date can be set for selected legs.
- Long press on a row in the flight plan to select single leg.
- Click the "Read Wx" button to fly along the flight plan and read the weather data. Do not move the map during this period, may take a minute or more.
- Ground speed and corrected ETE are then calculated.
- "Allow Drag" button allows dragging the waypoints. "Lock Drag" again to prevent dragging accidentally.
- In the Settings menu: Alert values for different overlays can be set. The alert sections will then be marked with red along the route after "Read Wx" has run.
- Airspace data from openAIP.net has been translated to geojson and can be loaded in the Airspace menu. Do not load too many countries.
hope it is of value....
Latest version: email@example.com : Added @marekd 's route planner .
@rittels This is great
Thank you @ivo
justinlimbo last edited by justinlimbo
this is an amazing tool, @rittels !
i have no idea about aviation. but with a few changes this also has a big potential for the sailing/boating community as well.
first and most importantly for a nautical use let us choose a slower traveling speed (seems at the moment I can only choose 20kn or higher). I think half knots steps from 1 to 10kn would be a good start. :-)
then for a "sailor version" get rid of all the altitude settings to clean up the UI and take ground level as basic setting. also then change a few terms and abbreviations here and there to use proper nautical language. easy peasy, right? ;-)
again, awesome tool to play around with. thanks.
I have made the start speed 0 and the initial increments 0.5. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
I have also considered this, however, calculating true speed from windspeed and direction in a sailboat is daunting. Hull speed plays a role and each model seems to have a different polar diagram. There is no easily applicable formula. Perhaps you can advise??
I have added @marekd 's route planner to my plugin.
Will comment on it and also commit it to github soon.
louismg last edited by
This is really cool but is it possible that the plugin is broken? I tried in Chrome and Safari (on Mac) and I don't see each waypoint adding up on the left of the map. So I can't select individual altitudes and speeds, as I see in the Windy news post that announced the plugins.
rittels last edited by rittels
@louismg will fix soon. Working on update.
Will publish new version tonight.
@louismg give it a go. Work in progress