rittels last edited by rittels
Hi Windy fans and Aviators
I have been (very slowly) working on this for a while. It might be somewhat superfluous, since @marekd is creating something similar.
There are still kinks to be ironed out, but usable:
- Go to windy.com/plugins and enter windy-plugin-fp. Once loaded, right click/long press on the map for context menu. Then click Flight planner.
- The plugin is meant for recreational VFR flight planning.
- Use the weather picker to plot a route.
- You can also upload a route. (Upload formats: .gpx, .ep1, .efp. Download: .gpx.)
- Airports (found in the Windy Airports layer) can be used to add a waypoint.
- Sliding the aircraft icon along the route will set the Windy map to the appropriate time and altitude.
- Altitude, speed, time and date can be set for selected legs.
- Long press on a row in the flight plan to select single leg.
- Click the "Read Wx" button to fly along the flight plan and read the weather data. Do not move the map during this period, may take a minute or more.
- Ground speed and corrected ETE are then calculated.
- "Allow Drag" button allows dragging the waypoints. "Lock Drag" again to prevent dragging accidentally.
- In the Settings menu: Alert values for different overlays can be set. The alert sections will then be marked with red along the route after "Read Wx" has run.
- Airspace data from openAIP.net has been translated to geojson and can be loaded in the Airspace menu. Do not load too many countries.
hope it is of value....
Latest version: firstname.lastname@example.org : Added @marekd 's route planner .
@rittels This is great
Thank you @ivo
justinlimbo last edited by justinlimbo
this is an amazing tool, @rittels !
i have no idea about aviation. but with a few changes this also has a big potential for the sailing/boating community as well.
first and most importantly for a nautical use let us choose a slower traveling speed (seems at the moment I can only choose 20kn or higher). I think half knots steps from 1 to 10kn would be a good start. :-)
then for a "sailor version" get rid of all the altitude settings to clean up the UI and take ground level as basic setting. also then change a few terms and abbreviations here and there to use proper nautical language. easy peasy, right? ;-)
again, awesome tool to play around with. thanks.
I have made the start speed 0 and the initial increments 0.5. (email@example.com)
I have also considered this, however, calculating true speed from windspeed and direction in a sailboat is daunting. Hull speed plays a role and each model seems to have a different polar diagram. There is no easily applicable formula. Perhaps you can advise??
I have added @marekd 's route planner to my plugin.
Will comment on it and also commit it to github soon.