Typhoon Lekima coverage
- Update: Super Typhoon Lekima was joined by Typhoon Krosa to bring flooding and damaging winds to China, Japan and South Korea - to get the latest news and forecasts, follow this separate article.
- Update At 8 p.m. UTC, Typhoon Lekima was located approx. 22.6N 126.24E with max. wind speeds of 201 km/h.
- Update Lekima strengthened to Category 3 Typhoon. Check out Lekima's max. winds forecast for the next 5 days.
- Update At 7:12 a.m. CET, Typhoon Lekima was located near 21.6N 127.1E with max. sustained winds 100 kt, gust 125 kt. Check out the updated satellite imagery below.
- Update Lekima (also known as 10W, or Hanna in PAR) strengthened to Category 2 Typhoon, to affect Philippines, Taiwan and China. Lekima may exit PAR (Philippine Area of Responsibility) by Friday, August 9. Tonight, it will bring moderate to heavy monsoon rains over Palawan, Mindoro, Romblon, Zambales, Bataan, Aklan, Antique, Iloilo, Guimaras.
- Update Northwest Pacific/North Indian Ocean area has now three active Tropical Systems, TS Francisco and TY Lekima were joined by Tropical Storm Krosa (11W).
Check out the JTWC's latest warnings here.
Typhoon Lekima Satellite Imagery
Typhoon Lekima (10W) followed by Tropical Storm Krosa (#11W)
After a quiet period, 2019 Typhoon season is quite intense. Tropical Storm Francisco (09W) threatens Japan and South Korea, followed by Tropical Storm Lekima on the track to impact Japan's Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan and eastern China.
Tropical Storm Lekima (10W) is expected to continue tracking northwestward and slowly accelerate as Tropical Storm Fracncesco (09W) moves away.
Lekima is forecast to impact Japan's Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan and eastern China late in the week. At 3:00 p.m. UTC, Lekima was located approx. 584 nm southeast of Taipei, Taiwan, tracking southwestward at 05 kts over the past six hours.
Animated enhanced infrared satellite imagery (EIR) revealed a broad low level circulation (LLC) with deep convection wrapping into the center from the south.
Lekima will gradually intensify as weak upper level outflow balances favorable SST and low to moderate shear (10-
You can track Lekima's path with Windy Hurricane tracker at www.windy.com/hurricanes
To get the latest warnigs, follow the JTWC Tropical Warnings page.