Have you noticed a few changes in Windy? That's because we've released version 39, which introduces features to make Windy easier to use when you know how to use it. Therefore, we are providing a summary to make things easier for you.
Pin your favorite layers
We understand that not everyone uses 50 layers on Windy. That's why we've made your job easier, and now you can pin your favorite layers to have them at hand. Valid for both classic layers and items in "Display on map" section (webcams, airports, weather stations, etc.)
- Go to the menu on your mobile
- Hold your finger long on the layer or POI you want to pin
- Your layers/POIs are now available under the PIN icon
Explore the new, better, more powerful picker
The Picker is the centerpiece of the application in the new version of Windy. And that's why it has new features that will make Windy easier to use.
With the change of the picker, the positions of some instruments have changed. When you place the picker anywhere on the map, you can view the Detailed Forecast, Distance and planning, or the nearest Sounding measurement for a specific location in the picker menu on top (see the picture below).
What the new picker can do
- Preview items like webcams, airports, surf spots, weather stations, radiation stations, etc.
- Quickly update detailed forecasts when the picker changes position
- Show nearest Sounding measurements
- Work better for measurements and route planning (more on that below)
Set the Weather picker timer
The new Weather picker can either disappear from the map after a few seconds or it can be present permanently with the "Always on" option. You can decide what suits you the best in the settings:
- Open Settings
- Scroll to Autoclose the weather picker in:
- Choose available intervals 3 sec, 6 sec, 9 sec, 12 sec or Always on.
Immerse yourself in route planning. Now in the app
Route planer is a beloved feature, especially among pilots, sailors, or hikers.
- Place the picker where the route begins
- Click on "Distance and planning" in the top bar.
- Scroll to other checkpoints and click on "Add waypoint"
- At the last waypoint, click on "End measurement"
- Choose how you want to complete the journey. Choose between airplane (VFR or IFR), boat, walking, or driving.
- On the timeline, select the time you will start and, on the bottom left, your speed.
If you plan to go later, you can save the route to your favorites on the bottom right, where you can find it later (by clicking on your profile photo).
We're listening to feedback. Leave us a comment
If you've been using the new version for a few days, let us know what you think. We'd love you to add pictures and specific things and go in-depth with your feedback.
The new version of Windy changes the way you navigate Windy. We know the changes are challenging, but we hope that after a few days, you'll get used to it and love the new version for its simplicity.