I appreciate that we have the opportunity to write plugins. It is fun and challenging, and the feedback has been very positive.
I understand the following:
- You cannot check all the plugins and, consequently you do not want a URL address ending up as a bookmark in someone’s browser or in a website, leading to a possibly dysfunctional Windy page.
- I respect that @ivo is worried about a security risk from the URL query string, with the possibility of someone introducing malicious code. I am probably ignorant, but is it different from strings from input elements or file upload?
- The plugins do not play well together, as @redbellyacres implied. It is probably our job to clean up everything we have changed when another plugin opens, but it is rather tedious. Some of the plugins and layers loaded are huge, and performance deteriorates if many are loaded. It would be simpler just to reload Windy when another plugin is clicked.
- You have big projects and do not have time to refactor the core Windy, but I think the plugin system works very well.
From our perspective:
- It would be amazing to share or save a planned trajectory or flightplan through social media (e.g. whatsapp) or as bookmark. As the week goes by, one can check every now and then whether we will be able to fly on the weekend. It would boost the usefulness of the plugins a lot!
I suggest a compromise:
The feature to open (approved) plugins from the URL, with the query string, but when the plugin opens a disclaimer appears stating, for example:
- You have opened a windy plugin: name of plugin.
- Windy.com did not create and is not responsible for the plugin.
- Go here (npm readme) for more information and here (community link) to comment on the plugin.
- Button: Continue to plugin, or button: Take me back to Windy.com.
It is thus one extra click, but the user knows he is in experimental terrain.
please move to the definitely at some point todo list :-) .